3.11.2009

Chicken from a Vegetarian


I did it! On Saturday I canned/bottled CHICKEN! How is that for a vegetarian (my nephews like to call me the "weirditarian"). I know what you are thinking (this looks disgusting), but the enrichment leaders (Jenny & Tiffany) ensured us that when you take it out of the can it falls apart like shredded chicken and that it tastes great in enchiladas, soups, bar-b-q sauce and casseroles. I am going to have the family test one of the bottles out soon to see how it tastes. Dusty laughed when I told him this because he knows that means he'll be the one to test it out (me being a vegetarian and all!) I was a bit nervous to do this, I had to use a pressure canner which was a kind of intimidating. I did 3 batches (7 pint bottles in each batch, each having to cook at a certain pressure for an hour and a half) and it pretty much took the entire day; but it is all cooked and great for our family food storage. Nothing says "I love you" more than adding canned chicken to our food storage from a vegetarian -right! I love my family :)

I did however, have time to squeeze in an HOUR LONG appointment that Dusty had set up for me to get a SWEDISH BODY MESSAGE he did this last year too. It was a great surprise and very relaxing. Thanks babe.

8 comments:

Brittney said...

That is definately a sign of true love. It would be the equivalent of me handling, preparing and smelling FISH. Good job. Let us know how it tastes.

Cherie said...

I'm seriously impressed. I'm not sure I could even do that, and I'm not a vegetarian.

Janelle said...

Sorry dude, that looks disgusting.... Please let me know how it tastes Dusty.. hee hee

Tiffany said...

I'm so impressed!! I really need to do some canning:) I didn't know you were a wierditarian LOL!

Jocelin said...

...oh... oh ... and now I'm a vegetarian.

Brea said...

Now that I know your story of why you are a vegetarian I have been thinking about that and think I want to become one too! yikes! :)

Camilla Millar said...

Impressive. I didn't even know you could can meat by yourself.

Jenny Roberts said...

Way to go Jandee! I remember when I canned chicken for the first time -- scary stuff. Now you're a pro.